Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Treats

Let's think of treating ourselves to a reward in a new way. As I began loosing weight I decided that I was no longer going to tell myself I deserved a "treat" "a special food or meal" for a reward of working hard or eating the right foods.

I believe we so often work hard and see ourselves making changes to our diet or eating a certain way for a few days or a week. Then we tell ourselves we are going to treat ourselves to a TREAT! That in my house usually meant Ice Cream... ben & jerry's mint cookie or a high calorie, high fat meal... a in & out burger with fries + a shake.

I have learned that those "treats" are not helping us make changes... they just help us stay in those same bad habits. Lets look at a new way to treat ourselves. For example: As I moved through my weight loss I decided to set goals where I got to "treat myself". When I reached a new size and my old clothes were getting to big and baggy. I went out and bought myself a new shirt or pants or panties... you get the picture.

I believe treating ourselves and telling ourselves "I have worked hard" "I deserve a treat" gets us in the mind set we can now go out and eat whatever we want. I think if we start turning that around and saying " I have a goal to reach and when I get there I deserve to feel good with a ..... pedicure, a new clothing item, a new hair cut/color, a nice necklace, a quiet bath, a walk with your spouse or kids, go out with friends to a movie ( no goodies)." My point being lets give ourselves rewards that don't make us feel guilty later. Life is one we can enjoy so many other things that we don't have to feel guilty about.

No comments: